Monday, October 01, 2007

Closet Treasure Hunting!

I was at my parent's house today, and my Mom and I decided to dig through her closet and look at some old quilts that she had been given through the years.


It was interesting to spread the quilts out on the bed and touch them, and look at the hand stitching work and see the old material. Some of the quilts were made with feedsack material for the backing. They came from a variety of places, such as both sets of grandmother's and an Aunt.

This quilt (blue with pinkish sashing) was just a quilt top. It is hand pieced, and in fairly good condition. There are a few places that the seams are coming apart, but that would be any easy fix.




We estimated that this quilt was made by my grandmother (who is no longer alive) somewhere between 30-50 years ago.




What should be done with an heirloom like this? I have never hand quilted, so I dont think I could do it justice like that. I can rent time on the Gammill long-arm quilting machine at the local quilt store....but would that be appropriate?






I'd love some feedback on what to do with these quilt tops. Leave it alone? Learn to hand quilt and do that? Quilt it myself with the long arm machine?






This picture is also of another quilt top that we found today. I dont know the names of the patterns either.



I fell in love with this star quilt with red sashing. It is very simply quilted, but I love the star pattern and the material used. It may be a quilt that I go back and take home with me! Or, I'll sneak into the closet and pin my name on that quilt for the future!!! haha...





I love this big star quilt too!


No comments: