Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Newest quilt top almost finished


I've finished the main part of my new quilt, mostly batik fabrics. The finished quilt will be about 60 in x 60 in. I still have to put on a 6 inch border all around. It will be a solid color, but I've not picked a fabric for that yet. I'm thinking that light shade of green would be cool ... or maybe red!
I'm not afraid of color, that's for sure!
Of course, with that phrase in mind you would assume that my house is full of colorful walls. Nope! I have paint samples all over my guest bathroom (sorry Shawn!!!ha!). All of the walls are still "builders beige."
After we moved here we found out we were pregnant, but unfortunately suffered a miscarriage. Then the next year we found out we were pregnant again, and we were being very careful.... so no painting!
And then we found out that our daughter had a brain tumor, medulloblastoma, and it was an aggressive cancer. After fighting that tumor for 9 months, we lost our sweet 5 year old daughter to Cancer. And we had a 6 month old son by that time too. This summer marked a year since she's been gone, and three since we've been in this house, and our son is now going to be 2 in January. There's been no time for fixing up things around here!
One would think that with all the "retail therapy" I did after we lost Katie, that I would have really jazzed up the house and painted like crazy. Not so. I started to quilt, though. And it's been an excellent source of calm, comfort, and a constructive activity for my mind.
Maybe it's a need to feel like I'm creating some sort of lasting legacy for my son, because I know our own mortality is inevitable. Maybe it's the fulfillment that I can create something useful with my hands and my time. Maybe it's just fun to quilt. But for now, the house will remain builders beige, and my quilts will dance with color.
Enjoy life!

No comments: