Thursday, March 13, 2008

Old Blocks

I was going through a bag of quilt stuff that belonged to my Grandmother and Great-Grandmother. I'm nearly 34 .... and so that means that these things are OLD. :) ha! There are old feed sacks and string/thread that they pulled from the sacks to sew with!


I've been thinking of making a Lone Star quilt. I found this big block (24+ inches) in the bag today. It's a small 8 point star in the middle ... then she angled the same triangle sets around it to make a circle around the star. I love it! It's in really sad shape .... it's hand-peiced and some of the stitching is coming loose and there are some burns or holes in it too. I may end up ironing it and starching it good ... and seeing if I could put it behind glass and frame it. The colors arent great, but the history of it is deeply personal to me. To know that one of my ancestors created this with her own hand .. probably at the end of a long hard day of taking care of rowdy kids... that's special. If I can get it to lay flat, I'll frame it. :)


I originally thought this block was a bear paw block, but after looking online I'm not really sure. I have about 10 of these 12 inch blocks ... and the original paper peiced block she put together first! Anyone know the name of the above block?

This was one of my favorite blocks. There's only one of them .... but there are about 20-30 other blocks around 12 inches that are all different. I could sew them all together to make one quilt sampler.

It's fun to look through old things. Then I saw my box of new fabrics and smiled to think that one day someone would be looking through my stuff and giggling about the fabric choices I made in 2008!!! ha!


1 comment:

Debbie said...

I absolutely love vintage fabric and quilts - these look wonderful!