Sunday, September 23, 2007

Thanks Grandma!


My grandmother had a saying that she liked to tell every so often. The older I get the more it seems true! I probably dont have the saying down exactly as she said it but it goes something like this:

If you want something done and you dont care how it gets done, ask your children to do it.
If you want something done, and you dont care when it gets done, ask you husband to do it.
If you want something done now and done right .... do it yourself!


Am I the only one that hates going through the self checkout lane? I swear my husband thinks that if he's the one doing the checkout that it HAS to be quicker. Notice, though, that it's called self check ... not EXPRESS check. It's named that for a reason. I've resigned myself to just lean on the grocery cart and twiddle my thumbs until we're finally done checking out. I mean, seriously .... he picks up a bag of lettuce. "What kind of lettuce is this?"..... I reply "Green Leaf Lettuce" .... to which i hear "Oh" and then way too many buttons being pushed on the screen. Next comes a pumpkin. I swear if he asked me what it was I would scream. Instead I hear "Is there a scanner bar on this?".... "Yes dear... right there. That sticker didnt grow on the pumpkin." Question. Buttons. Beep. Over and over ... and over.

But I look around ... and lo and behold.... there's men galore at this darn self check section. They're all SLOWLY picking up items, turning them over and over to look for a barcode, get a beep and do it all over.

The darndest thing, they all looked so proud of themselves when the walked out of the grocery store. Guess they conquered that piece of equipment. :)

Next time, though, I'm using my Grandmother's advice .... I'll do it myself and go through the express lane. After all, it is named that for a reason.
... and the picture has nothing to do with anything. I just like it. It's a picture I took of the Arkansas River at Spadra Park.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that picture didn't mean anything cause I spent several minutes trying to figure out what it had to do with the checkout...
Mom